The Stars Align for a Shimmering Youth Activity Agenda
The SBCC Summit Youth Champions (YCs) are a team of rising stars, shining their light into gender and ability equity, climate change, human centered design, and more. We have combined our celestial talents to organize a constellation of Summit activities, focused on intergenerational exchange, real-time practice, and effective approaches you can start applying at the Summit, and tailor to your organization thereafter.
And…we’ve got our very own Youth Café, immediately off the Exhibition Hall, so you’ll always know where to find us! Here’s what we’ve got going on there…
- At 2 p.m. on Dec 5, we invite you to “Break the Stigma” around sensitive topics online. YLabs designer Mireille Umutoni Sekamana and youth expert Balqees Shahin will lead this hands-on, skills-building session, aimed at expanding your understanding of how different people use social media and technology to inform behaviors, and how to create social media messaging that gets your information to the right audience, effectively.
- To get to the core of what works for SBC across technical areas, we’ll host two rounds of small-group, Summit-theme Spark Discussions ✨. Grab a lunch, and come visit Dr. Innocent Grant –recent winner of the Phil Harvey SRHR Innovation Award – Ikram Midmane, and other YCs from 12.45-2 p.m. on Dec 6 to explore how SBCC can address challenges like poor sexual and reproductive health outcomes, climate change, gender-based violence, and other areas of urgency.
- Hungry for more ? Come back at lunchtime (12.45-2 p.m.) on Dec 7 when journalist Mohammad Farajalla will host another round of Spark Discussions ✨ – this time about how technology affects connection, health behaviors, the diffusion of information, and a digital access divide.
- If one-to-one is more your style, the Youth Advice Booth might be your North Star. Led by Green Girls Platform Executive Director Joy Munthali, the Advice Booth will be open during select tea breaks: at 3.15 p.m. Dec 5, and at 10.30 a.m. and 3.30 p.m. on Dec 8. Get the inside perspective on how to engage more youth in your work and forge stronger youth partnerships. Modeled after academic “office hours,” the Advice Booth will pair you with a YC to discuss your questions and explore possible solutions, judgment-free.
- But hey – we know that words are just one way to share an experience. The YC Graffiti Wall+Selfie Booth will be a visual arts space, not just a place. Social worker and graphic designer Daniela Gordon, and Innocent Grant, want you to share your story and what you’re learning at the Summit! Make your note, hit your angle, and take a selfie with your note and others’, and post it on Instagram and Twitter (#SBCCSummit #SBCCYouth #SBCC2022, @SBCCSummit @YouthSBCCSummit).
Finally…as true youth has no boundaries, neither do our activities. Throughout the Summit, psychologist Dr. Dilian Manolov, Daniela Gordon, and other YCs will be on the move…Let’s Get Digital! Between sessions and during breaks, Youth Champions will conduct impromptu participant interviews to bring on-site experiences to those following the Summit online.
With all these unique ways to collaborate, we cannot wait to meet you soon, in Marrakech!